Prof Shahzad Shams presently works as Chairman and Head Of Neurosurgery Department at King Edward Medical University & Mayo Hospital, Lahore. Following Modern techniques are used by him :-
- 1. Endoscopic minimally invasive keyhole brain surgery
- 2. Endoscopic minimally invasive keyhole removal of brain tumours through nose.
- 3. Computer Assisted Neuronavigation Brain Tumor surgery used to precisely target the lesion and for complete removal.
- 4. Stereotactic Brain Tumor surgery a minimally invasive keyhole surgery technique for deep seated lesions with 1 mm accuracy
- 5. High Powered Microscopic Brain Tumor surgery are used to magnify the tumour for safe removal .
- 6. Endoscopic surgery ETV for Hydrocephalus attached to camera with images on monitor.
- 7. Per operative neurophysiological monitoring is done to protect important nerves and areas of Brain.
- 8. Safest and best technique performed by only one Team of Prof Shahzad Shams in Pakistan called Translabyrinthine minimally invasive keyhole surgery and approach for Acoustic Neuroma surgery.
All these methods help in safe and complete removal of tumors giving excellent results.
About Stereotactic Brain Biopsy done through Keyhole surgery
Prof Shahzad Shams is the first Neurosurgeon in Punjab and KPK to start Stereotactic neurosurgery in the Private sector which involves mapping the brain in a three dimensional coordinate system. With the help of MRI and CT scans and 3D computer workstations, he is able to accurately target any area of the brain in stereotactic space (3D coordinate system). He uses RM frame system and Inomed IPS Planning software for this purpose. Stereotactic brain biopsy is a minimally invasive procedure that uses this most advanced and cutting edge technology to obtain samples of brain tissue for diagnostic purposes and for aspiration of cystic lesions.
This procedure is used to obtain tissue samples of areas within the brain that are suspicious for tumors or infections. The main indications for stereotactic biopsy are :-
Lesions in Eloquent areas of brain like Thalamus and Brain Stem.
Multiple lesions like Metastatic lesions
Diffuse Infiltrative lesions like Encephalitis and Diffuse Glioma
Lesions in patients who cannot tolerate anesthesia like old aged
For Aspiration of Brain abscess and cystic lesions
For Aspiration of hematomas