Prof Shahzad Shams has the answer to Dystonia which is abnormal spasmodic moments of the body and it does not respond to any medical therapy. There are two following types:
- Cervical Dystonia: It is common and DBS Deep Brain Stimulation completely cures this abnormal moment of neck to one side.
- Generalized Dystonia: It is also managed by DBS surgery and the results are best in Pediatric age patients. Both Primary and Secondary Dystonia are treated by DBS Surgery.
- MEIG’S Syndrome (Oromandibular and Facial Dystonia): It involves forceful contraction of Lips, Face, Jaw and tongue also called Oromandibular Dystonia. DBS or Deep Brain Stimulation is the only and best treatment for Meig’s Syndrome.
Treatment: DBS Deep Brain Stimulation
Prof Shahzad Shams excels in all kinds of treatments required for diseases like Dystonia, Parkinson’s disease and Essential tremors. Prof Shahzad Shams is one of the Pioneers of DBS Deep Brain Stimulation surgery for Dystonia and other movement disorders in Pakistan and is referred cases from abroad also.
He is the first in Pakistan to start DBS surgery in the Private sector at Omar Hospital, Lahore, Pakistan. He is the best neurosurgeon for DBS Deep Brain Stimulation Surgery for Parkinson’s Disease in Pakistan and Asia.
DBS Deep Brain Stimulation
Surgery for Movement Disorders
Programming after deep brain stimulation is a very specialized process for which Prof Shahzad Shams is the best in Pakistan. Best Neurosurgeon for treatment and DBS deep brain stimulation surgery for Dystonia in Lahore, Pakistan. Prof Shams Movement Disorder Clinic is the most comprehensive and has robust program for treatment for Dystonia in Pakistan.
Deep Brain Stimulation or DBS Procedure
DBS surgery involves putting the tip of a hair-thin wire inside the brain in a special area that controls movement. The patient is awake during surgery to allow the surgical team to assess the patient’s brain functions. The small wire runs up through a small hole in the skull and under the scalp, down to a small device implanted under the collarbone.
Local anesthetic is applied to these areas, and the patient is occasionally sedated. While the electrode is being advanced through the brain, the patient does not feel any pain. Most patients have two implants one on each side of the brain.
Steps of Procedure
- Patient Evaluation by Neurophysicians
- Patient eligibility for DBS by ANFN team
- Hospital admission
- Pre op imaging
- Application of stereotactic frame
- Imaging with frame
- Surgical planning and localization of target radiologically
- Burr hole under local analgesia
- Physiological confirmation of target by MER
- Implantation of electrodes in brain
- Implantation of battery (IPG) infront of chest
- Programming of DBS to obtain best results
How DBS or Deep Brain Stimulation Works ?
Deep brain stimulation (DBS), or Electric subcortical stimulation, illustrates functional Neurosurgical intervention with Stereotactic placement of Electrodes into Target brain regions. Propagating from an external stimulation device, which becomes internalized via subdermal implantation.
Electric impulses traverse the electrodes, stimulating the desired target and invoking therapeutic responses within the patient giving Miraculous cure from all the diseases listed above. Whole procedure is performed in awake patient and they are discharged the next day. Patient is discharged within 24 hours of admission.