Presently works as Professor and Head of Neurosurgery Department at Lahore General Hospital, LGH, Lahore.
Memberships And Positions Held In Professional And Scientific Societies
- 1987-present Pakistan Medical Association
- 1994-present World Federation of Neurological Societies
- 1994-present Australian Society of Neurosurgeons
- 1994-present Pakistan Society of Neurosurgeons
- 1994-present Pakistan Society of Surgeons
- 1994-present Pakistan Society of Skull Base Surgeons
- 1994-present Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- 1996-present College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan
- 1998 Organizing Committee Member 4th Asian Oceanian Skull Base Congress
- 1998 Scientific Program Committee Member 10th Asian Australasian Congress
- 1999 Co-Chairman, Annual Conference of Pakistan Society of Neurosurgeons
- 2005 Organizing Committee Member of 18th National Neurosurgery Conference
SUPERVISOR FOR UNDER AND POSTGRADUATE TRAINING IN NEUROSURGERY
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan , CPSP
- University of Health Sciences , Lahore, Pakistan, UHS
- Postgraduate Medical Institute, Lahore, Pakistan, PGMI
- Punjab University, Lahore, Pakistan KEMC, KEMU
Directorship Of Courses And Symposia
1998 Co-Director, Sterotactic Workshop
11th National Conference of Pakistan Society of Neurosurgeons
Invited Lectureships And Seminars
- 1995 “Surgical treatment of Tuberculum Sellae Meningiomas”
- 3rd Asian Oceanian International Congress of Skull Base Surgery Taipei, Taiwann
- 1996 “CT Guided Stereotactic Surgery”
- 9th National Conference of Neurosurgery, Karachi, Pakistan
- 1997 “Minimal Invasive Neurosurgery”
- 6th Biennal International Surgical Conference, Lahore Pakistan
Mentorship In Neurosurgery
- 1996 Asif Mahmood , FCPS, Abdullah Haroon, FCPS
- 1997 Afaq Sarwar, FCPS, Nasir Awan, FCPS
- 1998 Bashir Ahmad
- 1999-2002 Nazar Hussain, Sohail Majeed
- 2003- To date Salman Jaffery, Moazzam Ahmad
Training Workshops Attended Held By College Of Physicians And Surgeons Of Pakistan
- July 28-30 1999 Education Planning and Evaluation
- July 31-Aug 02 1999 Written Assessment Technique
- Sept 22-24 2000 Teaching Skills
- Aug 06-08 2001 Performance Based Assessment
- March 10-12 2003 Research Methodology, Biostatistics and Medical writing
- Shams S, Butt RM, Sarwar A : Stereotactic biopsy of brain tumours. J Pak Med Assoc 46(8):176-178, 1996.
- Shams S, Butt RM, Ahmed N : Stereotactic management of Colloid cysts of IIIrd ventricle.JAMC 8(1):6-8, 1996.
- Shams S, Butt RM, Afaq AH : Comparison of free hand and stereotactic cranial biopsy. Pak J Surg 12(1);12-14,1996.9
- Shams S, Raja IA : Role of computed tomography guided stereotactic surgery in the management of intracranial tuberculomas. JPMI 10(2):176-179, 1996.
- Shams S, Butt RM, Sarwar A : CT guided stereotactic aspiration of brain abcesses with Leksell stereotactic frame. Proceedings SZPGMI 10(10):12-14, 1996.
- Shams S, Raja IA : Tumours of third ventricle : Diagnosis and treatment, techniques and strategies. Proceedings SZPGMI 10(3-4) : 90-93, 1996.
- Butt RM, Shams S, Raja IA, Javaid MA : Epidemology of Paediatric Head Injury. Pak J Neurol 2(3): 49-52, 1996.
- Butt RM, Habib A , Shams S : Acoustic Neuroma Surgery:Can facial nerve be saved ? Pak J Neurol 2(2): 27-29, 1996.(Pakistan Journal of Neurology published by the Pakistan Society of Neurologists and Neurophysicians in Lahore, Pakistan)
- Vohra AH, Butt RM, Shams S, Dastagir G : Trigeminal Neuralgia- Microvascular decompression: A study of 25 cases . Pak J Surg 12(4): 154-155, 1996.
- Raja IA, Vohra A, Butt RM, Shams S : The role of microsurgery in neurosurgery
- Annals 2(1-2): 28-31, 1996.
- Shams S, Raja IA : Stereotactic computerized tomography guided suboccipital transcerebellar biopsy of posterior fossa lesions. Pak Armed Forces Med J 47(2): 51-53, 1997.
- Shams S, Bokhari MA, Awan NR : Diagnostic yield of computerized tomography assisted stereotactic biopsy of gliomas. Prof Med Jour 4(2): 133-135, 1997.
- Butt RM, Shams S, Bokhari MA .Spinal tuberculosiseasy to diagnose;difficult to manage. Prof Med Jour 4(4) : 339- 334, 1997
- Ahmed N , Butt RM, Raja IA, Shams S , Dastagir G : Surgical treatment of Parkinsonism: 2 years experience at Lahore General Hospital. Prof Med Jour 6(1): 35-40, 1999.
- Butt RM, Shams S,Dastagir G, Bokhari MA, Haroon A : Infratentorial tumours in adults : 2 years study. Prof Med Jour 6(1):13-19, 1999.
- Butt RM, Shams S, et.al : Epidemiology of spinal injuries. Prof Med Jour 7(1): 9-14, 2000.
- Shams S, Ayesha H, Sallahuddin T, Majeed S : Tuberculous Meningitis ; Role of VP Shunting. Prof Med Jour 8(4): 526-529, 2001
- Sallahuddin T, Shams S, Hussain N. Spinal cord tumours; Role of Microsurgery; Prof Med Jour 8(4): 530-533, 2001.
- Shams S, Hussain N, Majeed S. Traumatic Fronto Basal Cerebrospinal Fluid Fistula; Neurosurgical Treatment; Prof Med Jour 10(2): 122-124, 2003.
1996 Stereotactic Procedures in Adults: A study of 30 cases,1996. 92 p. ; illustrated. (Supervisor: Iftikhar Ali Raja, King Edward Medica College, Lahore). Copies kept at Libraries of CPSP Ctr Karachi/ Lahore/ Peshawar
1995 “Surgical treatment of Tuberculum Sellae Meningiomas”
3rd Asian Oceanian International Congress of Skull Base Surgery
1996 “CT Guided Stereotactic Surgery”
9th National Conference of Neurosurgery
1997 “Minimal Invasive Neurosurgery”
6th Biennal International Surgical Conference
Pound Sterling 2000/-
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
US $ 10,000/-
Ayub K. Ommaya Fund, The George Washington, University, Washington D.C.
USA created by Emeritus Professor of Neurosurgery , AYUB KHAN OMMAYA at
The George Washington, University, Washington D.C.
- Use of Leksell Stereotactic Frame in Neurosurgery at Lahore General Hospital, LGH, Lahore.
- Skull Base Surgery at George Washington University, Washington D.C. USA
Current Research Interests
- Endoscopic Neurosurgery involving Brain endoscopy and Spine endoscopic surgery.
- Brain Aneurysms Surgery
- Microvascular Decompression of Vth & VIIth Nerve for Trigeminal Neuralgia and Hemifacial Spasm respectively.
- Spinal Fixation Using Pedical Screws and Titanium Cages.
- Stereotactic Surgery
- Skull base surgery