Why Neurosurgery at King Edward Medical University/Mayo Hospital, both Number 1 in Pakistan?
Message from Prof Shahzad Shams FRCS(Glasgow),FCPS Neurosurgery, Fellowship in Neurosurgery (USA)
“It is my utmost duty and promise to all those who have and will join KEMU NEUROSURGERY shall be trained completely in every respect to become the top class and best neurosurgeon who can practice neurosurgery any where in the world the day you are awarded your Fellowship or Master’s Degree in Neurosurgery at our Prestigious Institute.”
Prof. Shahzad Shams presently works as Chairman and Head of Neurosurgery Department at King Edward Medical University & Mayo Hospital, Lahore.
KEMU/Mayo Neurosurgery department stands on top in the merit list of Punjab Residency Program PRP and it fulfils all the requirements for Central Induction Policy CIP in Punjab and Pakistan.
DEPARTMENT OF KEMU/MAYO HOSPITAL
- Faculty consists of: 1 Professor, 1 Associate professor, 3 Assistant Professors, 3 Senior Registrars, 20 Post graduate Residents, 4 House Officer’s, 4 Medical officers.
- 80 Bedded Unit
- 30 Beds Allocated for Emergency patients in A/E department and 2nd floor is allocated to Neurosurgery along wit 2 Modular operations theatres, where 24/7 cover is given and surgeries are performed.
- 10 Bedded Neurosurgical ICU with ventilator along each bed.
- 40 beds for Elective patients in the South side of Mayo Hospital along with 4 theatres dedicated for Elective Neurosurgery and Elective list is performed on every alternate days.
- Theatres are equipped with all latest gadgets available in any top class Neurosurgwery department of USA or UK like, Stereotactic frame, Microscopes, C-arms, Exoscope, Endoscopes for Brain and Spine surgery, Neuronavigation, Electophysiological monitoring system.
- All major surgeries from Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson’s disease to all Endosocpic Brain and Spine surgeries are performed using Latest techniques for Brain and spine surgery.
- Radiology department of Mayo is one of the best to Support Neurosurgery department and is equipped with Latest Siemen’s 1.5 Tesla MRI, 3 CT Scan machines, Angiography suite with DSA facilities.
- King Edward Medical University is one the most known Medical Universities of Pakistan in the world and our Thousands of Post Graduates are working in USA, UK and Middle East (KEMU Alumini Associations of each is available on web).
- Postgraduation done at King Edward Medical University is Recognized all over the world and is a known Institute to Medical Communitty of the Globe since 150 years.
AIM OF OUR TRAINING PROGRAM:
The culmination of the program is to maximize each Resident’s potential, optimize their clinical and academic skills and allow them to become the next generations “Leaders in Neurosurgery”.
FELLOWSHIP(FCPS) & M.S (MASTER’S DEGREE)
Any doctor who has finished his medical school and wants to become a Neurosurgeon can join the following training programs in Neurosurgery:-
5 years program in Neurosurgery through College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan(CPSP).
5 years training program in through King Edward Medical University(KEMU), Lahore, Pakistan
Training program consist of…
- Resident training and then Registrar and after Fellowship or Master’s in Neurosurgery joins the faculty as Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and finally as Professor.
- At each step you are taught the art of history taking, diagnosis, surgical skills for emergency and elective neurosurgical operation of minor to most complicated and intricate procedures.
Handling of specialized electro medical equipment used in neurosurgery are taught Latest techniques used by Prof Shahzad Shams.